Thursday, June 11, 2015

YVR -> HKG

I admit that it feels like it’s been a while since I’ve travelled from a blog perspective, but I have to be honest, I snuck a trip in while you weren’t looking. I had the opportunity to go to a place called La Ventana, Mexico over Christmas to learn how to kite ski.

Guys, it was amazing.

That’s totally not what I’m about to write about though. We’ll have a time-travel moment later this summer to make up for it; also to explain my otherwise inexplicable hate of jellyfish, and newfound respect for Mexican emergency rooms. Surprisingly, those aren’t actually connected. La Ventana was definitely too remote for a reliable Internet connection, so even an all-text, Ugandan-style blog update was not workable.

What I’m actually going to write about is Asia. Specifically China. Specifically Hong Kong.

HONG KONG.

Just take a moment to let how excited I am about this sink in for you.

Why wouldn’t you want to visit Hong Kong? It’s a world-class city, known for history, commerce, and food. It’s beautifully set on an island, surrounded by rolling hills, in a bay, at the doorstep to China. China requires me to have a visa to visit, but Hong Kong is willing to accept me as I am ;-) I’m thrilled, being as I’ve never been farther west than New Zealand and Hawaii, which is to say I haven’t ever really been anywhere near Asia. To meet Asia through Hong Kong sounds pretty amazing to me.

Why Hong Kong though? I mean, other than the above.

Well, a close friend of mine from high school is living and working in Doha, Qatar right now. His name is Max, and he’s a wonderful human being. Needless to say we haven’t seen each other in a few years, and that’s sad. We were originally trying to get ourselves sorted out so that I could visit Qatar, but I need to let you know that Qatar sounds like a miserable place in June. As we all know, I am so white I practically glow in the dark. I am legitimately concerned that I would be left as a little, short-lived puddle in the sand if I visited Qatar in June. As a compromise, Max suggested that we go see the Dragon Boat Regatta that is hosted annually in Hong Kong Harbour. There was a pretty awesome seat sale shortly after our conspiring, and that sealed it.

Max has also never been anywhere in Asia, so I need to let you know that we’re terribly enthusiastic about getting lost, butchering basic Chinese phrases, accidentally ordering new food, and discovering the city to the very best of our abilities. 

See you on the island!

PS – Well don YVR! I’ve never really had a chance to stick around and see your shiny new(-ish) airport, and I have to say that it’s quite nice. I had about 3 hours before boarding this morning, and I highly recommend taking a leisurely stroll through the international side if you have the time.

PPS – YVR, your airport still does not make up for your hockey team.




No comments:

Post a Comment